No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Segunda Guerra Mundial

No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Segunda Guerra Mundial


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

No. 614 Squadron (RAF) durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial

Aeronave - Locais - Grupo e dever - Livros

No início da Segunda Guerra Mundial No.614, o Esquadrão "County of Glamorgan" era uma unidade de cooperação do exército, equipada com o virtualmente obsoleto Hawker Hector. Eles foram substituídos por Lysanders antes do início das operações, mas durante os primeiros três anos da guerra, o esquadrão passou a maior parte do tempo treinando com o exército. Uma exceção veio durante os Mil Incursões de Bombardeiros de maio e junho de 1942. Nessa época, o esquadrão havia se convertido para o Bristol Blenheim. O Comando de Bombardeiros precisava de todas as aeronaves que pudesse encontrar para realizar esses ataques, e os Blenheims do Esquadrão No.614 foram convocados para participar das operações de apoio, atacando campos de aviação alemães nos Países Baixos.

O papel do esquadrão mudou drasticamente em novembro de 1942, quando se mudou para o Norte da África. Nos meses seguintes, operou como um esquadrão de bombardeiros, atacando campos de aviação alemães e italianos na Tunísia. Após o fim da campanha da Tunísia, o esquadrão foi usado para proteger a navegação no Mediterrâneo Ocidental, antes de ser dissolvido em 25 de janeiro de 1944.

O Esquadrão No. 614 foi reformado em fevereiro de 1944 na Itália pela renumeração do Esquadrão No. 462, R.A.A.F., que havia sido considerado como tendo poucos australianos (um novo Esquadrão No. 462 australiano foi mais tarde formado na Grã-Bretanha). Esse esquadrão vinha realizando uma mistura de ataques de bombardeio sobre a Itália e os Bálcãs e entrega de suprimentos a guerrilheiros. Com o novo nome, o esquadrão continuou a desempenhar essas funções até o final da guerra. Em 27 de julho de 1945, foi renumerado como Esquadrão No.214.

Aeronave
Novembro de 1937 a novembro de 1939: Hawker Hector I
Novembro de 1939 a outubro de 1940: Westland Lysander II
Outubro de 1940 a janeiro de 1942: Westland Lysander III
Julho de 1941 a setembro de 1942: Bristol Blenheim IV
Agosto de 1942 a fevereiro de 1944: Bristol Blenheim V

Março de 1944 a março de 1945: Handley Page Halifax B.Mk III
Agosto de 1944 a julho de 1945: Consolidated Liberator VIII

Localização
1 de junho de 1937 a 2 de outubro de 1939: Cardiff
2 de outubro de 1939 a 8 de junho de 1940: Odiham
8 de junho de 1940 a 5 de março de 1941: Grangemouth
5 de março a 27 de setembro de 1941: Macmerry
27 de setembro a 3 de outubro de 1941: Odiham
3 de outubro de 1941 a 25 de agosto de 1942: Macmerry
26 de agosto a 16 de novembro de 1942: Odiham
16-17 de novembro de 1942: Portreath
17 de novembro a 5 de dezembro de 1942: Blida
5 de dezembro de 1942 a 7 de fevereiro de 1943: Oulmene
22 de maio a 28 de agosto de 1943: Tafaraoui
28 de agosto de 1943 a 25 de janeiro de 1944: Borizzo

3 de março a 10 de maio de 1944: Celone
10 de maio a 15 de julho de 1944: Stornara
15 de junho a 27 de julho de 1945: Amendola

Códigos de esquadrão: LJ, D, T

Dever
1939 a novembro de 1942: Cooperação do Exército
Novembro de 1942 a março de 1943: Esquadrão de Bombardeiros, Norte da África
Março de 1943 a janeiro de 1944: Escolta de Navegação, Mediterrâneo
Março de 1944 a julho de 1945: Esquadrão de Bombardeiros e Deveres Especiais, Itália

Livros

Favoritar esta página: Delicioso Facebook StumbleUpon


No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Segunda Guerra Mundial - História

Ar de autoridade - uma história da organização da RAF

Nº 611 - 620 Histórias de esquadrão

Os números da série 600 foram originalmente alocados para esquadrões da Força Aérea Auxiliar. No entanto, a AAF só havia alcançado o número 616 com a eclosão da Segunda Guerra Mundial, e outros esquadrões a partir de 617 começaram a ser formados a partir de 1943. Embora muitos esquadrões não tenham sido formados até o final da guerra, o Ministério da Aeronáutica parece ter alocado letras de código para muitos esquadrões inexistentes durante a Crise de Munique em 1938, provavelmente para confundir a Inteligência Alemã.

Não 611 (West Lancashire) Esquadrão

Formado em Hendon como parte da Força Aérea Auxiliar em 10 de fevereiro de 1936, mudou-se para o norte para Speke em maio e recebeu sua primeira aeronave, Harts, em junho. Até janeiro de 1939, ele operou como um esquadrão de bombardeiros diurnos, reequipando-se com Hinds em 1938, mas foi então redesignado um esquadrão de caça.

Os Spitfires chegaram em maio de 1939 e o esquadrão realizou operações sobre Dunquerque e depois participou da Batalha da Grã-Bretanha. Ele operou no papel de lutador diurno durante a 2ª Guerra Mundial e permaneceu em bases no Reino Unido em vários locais até a dissolução em Peterhead em 15 de agosto de 1945.

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 611 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Woodvale como um esquadrão de caça diurno. Foi inicialmente equipado com Spitfire F 14s e F 22, até junho de 1951, quando o Meteor F 4s foi recebido. Estes foram substituídos por F 8s em dezembro de 1951, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em Hooton Park, para onde havia se mudado em 1951, em 10 de março de 1957. O esquadrão foi reformado em 2013 na RAF Woodvale como um multi - unidade de função.

Não 612 (Condado de Aberdeen) Esquadrão

Formado na Dyce como parte da Força Aérea Auxiliar em 1 de junho de 1937, foi inicialmente equipado com Tutores. No final do ano, recebeu Hectors, que continuou a voar até e após 1 de novembro de 1938, quando passou da função de Cooperação do Exército para o papel de Reconhecimento Geral. Em julho de 1939, recebeu Ansons, que eram mais adequados para seus novos Função.

Ele voou durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial como uma unidade de Reconhecimento Geral dentro do Comando Costeiro sendo sucessivamente re-equipado com Whitleys e várias marcas de Wellington, dissolvendo-se em Langham em 9 de julho de 1945

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 612 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Dyce como esquadrão de caça. Inicialmente equipado com Spitfire LF 16s e F 14s, foi convertido em Vampiros em julho de 1951, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em 10 de março de 1957.

Reformado do Esquadrão Cirúrgico de Transporte Aéreo em xx xxx xxxx.

DJ Jul 1939 Set 1939
WL Set 1939 - Ago 1943
8W Julho de 1944 a julho de 1945, 1949 a abril de 1951
RAS Maio de 1946 - 1949

Não 613 (cidade de Manchester) Esquadrão

Formado em Ringway como parte da Força Aérea Auxiliar em 1 de março de 1939, foi inicialmente equipado com Hinds. No final do ano recebeu Hectors, que voou até abril de 1940, quando recebeu Lysanders.

Permanecendo na Grã-Bretanha na eclosão da guerra, operou sobre a França em bombardeios leves e missões de lançamento de suprimentos antes de assumir as funções de patrulha costeira e resgate aéreo-marítimo. No entanto, começou a treinar na função de reconhecimento tático a partir de agosto de 1941, quando recebeu seus primeiros Tomahawks. Ele começou a se reequipar em abril de 1942 com o Mustang, que manteve até outubro de 1943.

Recebeu Mosquito VIs a partir de novembro de 1943 e ingressou no Grupo No 2, iniciando suas operações em dezembro. A partir de maio de 1944, ele assumiu o papel de intruso noturno e continuou nesse papel até 7 de agosto de 1945, quando foi renumerado para o Esquadrão nº 69.

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 613 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Ringway como um esquadrão de caça. Inicialmente equipado com Spitfires F 14 e F 22s, recebeu Vampires em fevereiro de 1951, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em 10 de março de 1957.

ZR Março de 1939 - junho de 1942
SY Junho de 1942 - agosto de 1945
RATO Maio de 1946 - 1949
3º T 1949 - abril de 1951

Não 614 (Condado de Glamorgan) Esquadrão

Formado em Cardiff como parte da Força Aérea Auxiliar em 1 de junho de 1937, foi inicialmente equipado com Hinds. No final do ano recebeu Hectors, que voou até novembro de 1939, quando recebeu Lysanders.

Em junho de 1940, mudou-se para a Escócia para realizar patrulhas costeiras, mas a partir de julho de 1941 começou a reequipar com Blenheims IVs, um processo concluído em janeiro de 1942. Durante o primeiro ataque de 'mil bombardeiros' em maio de 1942, realizou ataques contra Aeródromos alemães. Também colocou cortinas de fumaça durante os desembarques em Dieppe e em novembro mudou-se para o Norte da África.

No Norte da África, realizou ataques contra aeródromos e linhas de comunicação inimigas até maio de 1943, quando terminaram os combates naquela área. Em seguida, envolveu-se em tarefas de escolta marítima no Mediterrâneo até ser dissolvida em 25 de janeiro de 1944.

Pouco mais de um mês depois, em 3 de março de 1944, o esquadrão nº 462 em Celone, na Itália, foi renumerado no 614. Equipado com Halifaxes, estava agora envolvido em missões de bombardeio sobre a Itália e os Bálcãs e também realizava entregas de suprimentos para guerrilheiros nessas áreas. Reequipou-se com Liberators em março de 1945, mas em 27 de julho se desfez novamente.

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 614 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Llandow como um esquadrão de caça diurno. Inicialmente equipado com Spitfires, eles deram lugar a Vampiros em julho de 1950, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em 10 de março de 1957. O esquadrão foi reformado em setembro de 2013 em Cardiff como uma unidade multifuncional.

Não 615 (Condado de Surrey) Esquadrão

Formado em Kenley como parte da Força Aérea Auxiliar em 1 de junho de 1937, foi inicialmente equipado com o Audax. No final do ano, recebeu Hectors, que voou até novembro de 1938, quando recebeu Gauntlets e se tornou um esquadrão de caças ao mesmo tempo.

Foi para a França como parte do Componente Aéreo do BEF em novembro de 1939, tendo sido reequipado com Gladiadores em maio. A conversão para furacões ocorreu pouco antes da invasão alemã da França, mas em 20 de maio de 1940, o esquadrão estava de volta a Kenley.

Ele participou das primeiras ações da Batalha da Grã-Bretanha, mas depois mudou-se para a Escócia para descansar. Posteriormente, participou de varreduras ofensivas sobre a Europa e deveres de defesa no País de Gales antes de se mudar para a Índia em abril de 1942. Mudou-se para a Birmânia em dezembro de 1942, retornou à Índia para se reequipar em maio de 1943, recebendo Spitfires em outubro. Retornou às operações na frente da Birmânia em novembro, mas foi chamado novamente à Índia, para deveres defensivos em agosto de 1944, antes de retornar à Birmânia em fevereiro de 1945, dissolvendo-se em 10 de junho.

O Esquadrão Nº 135, equipado com Thunderbolts, foi renumerado para 615 no mesmo dia e começou o treinamento para a invasão da Malásia. No entanto, a rendição japonesa acabou com esses planos e o esquadrão se desfez em 25 de setembro de 1945.

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 615 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Biggin Hill como um esquadrão de caça diurno equipado com Spitfire 14s. Os Spitfire F 21s foram recebidos em 1947 e os F 22s em 1948, ambas as marcas voadas até 1950, quando o esquadrão se reequipou com o Metoer F 4s. O Meteor F 8 foi recebido em setembro de 1951, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em 10 de março de 1957.

RR Nov 1938 - Set 1939
KW Set 1939 - Set 1945
RAV Julho de 1946 - 1949
V6 1949 - abril de 1951

Não 616 (South Yorkshire) Esquadrão

Em 1 de novembro de 1938 No 503 Squadron realocado para Doncaster e foi renumerado No 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force. Foi originalmente equipado com bombardeiros leves Hind, mas a partir de 15 de novembro foi redesignado como unidade de caça. Ele foi reequipado com Gauntlets em 1939 e Spitfires em novembro de 1939.

Começou a Batalha da Grã-Bretanha em seu condado natal de Yorkshire, mas em meados de agosto juntou-se à batalha principal quando se mudou para Kenley. As varreduras de caça no continente começaram em abril de 1941 recebendo Spitfire IIs em fevereiro de 1941 e VBs em julho de 1941. Em abril de 1942 recebeu a versão de alta altitude do Spitfire, o Mk VI e a partir de setembro de 1943, o Mk VII.

No entanto, antes que o último Spitfire partisse, uma nova aeronave estava chegando na forma do primeiro caça a jato da RAF, o Gloster Meteor. Estes chegaram bem a tempo de enfrentar a ameaça representada pela bomba voadora V1, para a qual o esquadrão foi retido na Grã-Bretanha. Em fevereiro de 1945, um destacamento da esquadra foi para a Bélgica, com toda a esquadra se mudando para a Holanda em abril de 1945 e quando a guerra acabou, a esquadra se encontrou em Lubeck, onde se dispersou em 29 de agosto de 1945.

Com a reativação da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real, o 616 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 em Finningley como uma unidade de caça noturna equipada com o Mosquito NF 30. Tornou-se uma unidade de caça diurna novamente em 1948 e em dezembro recebeu a aeronave que havia introduzido em serviço quatro anos antes, o Meteor F 3. Meteor F 4s chegou em abril de 1950 e o F 8s em dezembro de 1951, mas junto com todas as unidades voadoras do RAuxAF, foi dissolvido em Worksop, para onde havia se mudado em 1955, em 10 de março de 1957. Foi reformado em 1 de abril de 2019 em RAF Waddington & quot para apoiar campos de emprego de alta demanda & quot.

Não 617 Esquadrão

Considerando sua curta existência durante a 2ª Guerra Mundial, o nº 617 foi provavelmente a unidade RAF mais conhecida a emergir do conflito, tanto que hoje ainda permanece um esquadrão RAF ativo, quando muitos esquadrões de números menores (ou seja, mais seniores) não são mais ativo na ordem de batalha.

617 foi formado em 21 de março de 1943 em Scampton com o único propósito de realizar uma única operação 'Chastise'. Essa operação envolveu a entrega de baixo nível de uma mina especial capaz de 'ricochetear' sobre uma rede defensiva e na noite de 16 de maio de 1943, liderada por Wg Cdr Guy Gibson, o esquadrão atacou barragens no Vale do Rhur. Dos três, dois - o Mohne e o Eder foram violados, enquanto o Sorpe permaneceu praticamente intacto. Oito aeronaves das 19 despachadas não retornaram e o Wg Cdr Gibson foi premiado com o VC por sua bravura durante a incursão, durante a qual ele introduziu uma técnica para ser usada em todo o Comando de Bombardeiro - o sistema Master Bomber.

Após esse ataque, decidiu-se manter o esquadrão, mas ele continuou a operar em um campo especializado. Sob o comando do Wg Cdr Leonard Cheshire, o esquadrão desenvolveu técnicas de marcação de baixo nível, primeiro usando Lancasters e depois Mosquitos. Nessa função, o esquadrão freqüentemente lidera e marca alvos de precisão para todo o Grupo nº 5. Durante os pousos do Dia D, o esquadrão realizou a Operação Tributável, em que usando Janela tiras metálicas, dava a impressão de uma força invasora cruzando o Canal da Mancha em direção ao Pas de Calais.

Suas próximas operações especiais consistiram em entregar outro projeto de Barnes Wallis, na forma da bomba terremoto 'Tallboy' de 12.000 libras. Usando esta arma, o esquadrão destruiu o túnel ferroviário de Saumur logo após o Dia D e mais tarde em conjunto com o esquadrão nº 9 afundou o Tirpitz no fiorde de Thomso. No final da guerra, ele foi responsável pelo lançamento das maiores bombas até mesmo de alto explosivo da história, quando lançou o 'Grand Slam' de 22.000 libras, outro projeto de Barnes Wallis, destruindo alvos como o viaduto Bielefeld. Foi então alocado para 'Força Tigre'mas a necessidade dessa força desapareceu quando os japoneses se renderam após o lançamento das bombas atômicas em Hiroshima e Nagasaki. No entanto, 617 se mudaram para a Índia em janeiro de 1946 e voltaram para Binbrook, no Reino Unido, em maio.

Juntando-se à RAF em tempo de paz, agora estava equipado com Lincolns, mantendo-os até 1952, quando se tornou o segundo esquadrão da RAF a receber o bombardeiro a jato de Canberra. Continuou a operar Canberras a partir de Binbrook, exceto por um destacamento de quatro meses para a Malásia em 1955, até a dissolução em 15 de dezembro de 1955.

Ele foi reformado em sua casa ancestral, Scampton, em 1 de maio de 1958 como parte do V-Force equipado com Vulcan B1s. Reequipando-se com os B2s em 1961, ele permaneceu em Scampton, operando no papel de bombardeio convencional depois de 1968, quando a dissuasão nuclear foi passada para a Marinha Real, até a dissolução em 31 de dezembro de 1981.

Ele reformou mais uma vez em 1 de janeiro de 1983 em Marham equipado com o Tornado GR1 na função de ataque nuclear. Em 1993, começou a ser retreinado para a função de anti-marítimo, para o qual agora opera o Tornado GR4B (os primeiros recebidos em 1994) equipado para lançar o míssil skimming Sea-Eagle. A partir de 1994, estava localizado em Lossiemouth, na Escócia, ao lado da única outra unidade equipada com GR4B, o No 12 Squadron, que se desfez em 1 de abril de 2014, preparando-se para se tornar a primeira unidade operacional a operar o F-35B Lightning II. Ele foi reformado em 17 de abril de 2018 nos EUA e iniciou a mudança para sua nova casa em Marham em junho de 2018.

Padrão originalmente concedido em 15 de janeiro de 1952 como uma marca de apreciação de Sua Majestade por suas notáveis ​​realizações em operações e apresentado: -

TF Alocado de abril a setembro de 1939
AJ 1943 - 1946
KC 1943 - 1952 (usado ao lado de AJ)
YZ 1945 (usado apenas em aeronaves usadas para transportar bombas 'Grand Slam')
AJ Tornados continuados

Para obter uma história mais detalhada do nº 617 na última parte da segunda guerra mundial, solicite o livro abaixo: -

Não 618 Esquadrão

Formado logo após o nº 617 em 1 de Aril 1943, esse esquadrão também foi criado para realizar operações especiais com uma versão menor da '' Bomba saltadora 'de Barnes Wallis.

Foi formado em Skitten a partir de um núcleo de tripulações fornecidas pelos Esquadrões 105 e 109 do No's e estava equipado com Mosquitos, que carregavam cada um dois dos menores 'Highball' dispositivos.

Foi planejado originalmente para usar este dispositivo contra navios de guerra alemães ao longo da costa norueguesa, mas como estes nunca saíram de seus refúgios seguros em fiordes noruegueses, o esquadrão nunca se tornou totalmente operacional.

Em seguida, foi decidido enviar o esquadrão ao Pacífico para tarefas semelhantes contra os japoneses. Embarcando a bordo do HMS Striker em 30 de outubro de 1944, o esquadrão chegou à Austrália em dezembro. Um destacamento foi enviado para a base da Frota Britânica do Pacífico em Manus em março de 1945, mas quando se tornou óbvio que haveria problemas para operar uma unidade da RAF em uma área controlada pela Marinha dos Estados Unidos, o esquadrão foi dissolvido em 29 de junho de 1945.

Não 6 Esquadrão 19

Formado como uma unidade de bombardeiro da Força Principal dentro do Grupo No 5 em 18 de abril de 1943, foi equipado com Lancasters no Woodhall Spa.

Continuou nesta função equipado com o mesmo tipo de aeronave, embora tenha movido bases várias vezes, Coningsby - janeiro de 1944, Dunholme Lodge - abril, Strubby - setembro e Skellingthorpe - junho de 1945, onde se desfez em 18 de julho de 1945.

Não 620 Esquadrão

Formado como uma unidade de bombardeiro pesado dentro do Grupo No 3 em Chedburgh, em 17 de junho de 1943, equipado com Stirlings. Só operou como unidade de bombardeiro até novembro daquele ano, quando foi transferida para o Grupo No 38, mudando-se para Leicester East.

Agora operava no papel de forças aerotransportadas rebocando planadores e realizando quedas de suprimentos para as forças de resistência na França. Participou de Operações Overlord, Market Garden e Time do colégio antes de enviar tropas para a Noruega em maio de 1945.

Pouco depois disso, ele se converteu em Halifaxes e em janeiro de 1946 mudou-se para o Egito, ganhando algumas Dakotas em junho, mas em 1 de setembro de 1946 foi dissolvido ao ser renumerado como Esquadrão Nº 113 em Aqir.

TF Alocado de abril a setembro de 1939
QS Junho de 1943 - 1946
D4 Novembro de 1943 - 1946 (usado com QS na transferência para o Comando de Transporte)

* Honras em Preto são aquelas que o esquadrão recebeu o direito de brasão no Padrão do Esquadrão, mas não o faz.

Honras em vermelho são aquelas realmente estampadas no Padrão do Esquadrão

Honras em Azul são aquelas que o esquadrão não obteve o direito de brasão no Padrão do Esquadrão

A imagem do emblema do esquadrão nesta página é cortesia de Steve Clements

Crown Copyright é reproduzido com a permissão da Diretoria de Direitos de Propriedade Intelectual

Esta página foi atualizada pela última vez em 17/09/19 usando o FrontPage 2003

Índice Organizacional [Topo da página] Sqns 621 - 650


RAF Llandow

A principal unidade RAF baseada em Llandow ao longo de sua existência foi a No. 38 Maintenance Unit RAF (38 MU), que foi encarregada de receber, armazenar e despachar aeronaves RAF. 38 MU foi inaugurado em 1 de abril de 1940 e fechado em 15 de março de 1957.

Outras unidades da RAF durante a guerra foram baseadas em Llandow entre junho de 1941 e julho de 1944. A primeira foi o vôo da Unidade de Treinamento Operacional No. 53 RAF B equipado com Supermarine Spitfires que chegou em 24 de junho de 1941. Uma estação de satélite em RAF Rhoose (agora Aeroporto Internacional de Cardiff) foi usado por esta unidade. Três pequenos voos de transporte foram formados aqui durante abril de 1944 com o No. 1312 Flight RAF permanecendo baseado até 21 de julho de 1944 com seis Avro Anson I para transportar pessoal urgente de e para a área de desembarques da Normandia.

O Esquadrão No. 614 (Condado de Glamorgan) foi formado na RAF Pengam Moors em junho de 1937, antes de se mudar com a eclosão da Segunda Guerra Mundial. O equipamento do pós-guerra exigia um campo de aviação maior como base e Llandow foi escolhida. O Esquadrão foi oficialmente reformado aqui em 10 de maio de 1946 e o ​​primeiro Spitfire Mk 16 foi recebido em novembro, sendo substituído pelo Mk 22 em agosto de 1948. Equipamentos a jato na forma de lutadores de Havilland Vampire chegaram em julho de 1950 e continuaram em uso até a dissolução de o esquadrão em 10 de março de 1957, com todas as unidades da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real.

Outra unidade voadora de longa duração no pós-guerra com base em Llandow foi o Esquadrão No. 663 RAFs No. 1952 AOP Flight, equipado com aeronaves Auster AOP.6 para detecção de unidades locais de artilharia do Exército Territorial. Este voo foi baseado aqui de 1 de julho de 1949 até a dissolução em março de 1957.

O Esquadrão de Conversão Birmanês da RAF foi baseado aqui por um período de 1953 para familiarizar os pilotos birmaneses com seus caças Supermarine Spitfire recém-adquiridos da RAF.

A Unidade de Cooperação Antiaérea No. 4 Civil foi baseada em RAF Llandow entre 1 de agosto de 1951 e 1 de julho de 1954 equipada com aeronaves Havilland Mosquito e Spitfire para rebocar alvos e atuar como alvos para unidades do exército em Gales do Sul e áreas próximas.

O desastre aéreo de Llandow ocorreu em 12 de março de 1950, quando um avião Avro Tudor V G-AKBY da Fairflight Ltd caiu na aproximação final da pista 28 na RAF Llandow. A aeronave estava voltando do aeroporto de Dublin com cinco tripulantes e 80 torcedores de rúgbi, todos, exceto três passageiros mortos.


O Wartime Memories Project é o site original de comemoração da Primeira Guerra Mundial e da Segunda Guerra Mundial.

  • O Wartime Memories Project está em execução há 21 anos. Se você gostaria de nos apoiar, uma doação, não importa quão pequena, seria muito apreciada, anualmente precisamos levantar fundos suficientes para pagar por nossa hospedagem na web e administração ou este site desaparecerá da web.
  • Procurando ajuda com a Pesquisa de História da Família? Por favor, leia nosso FAQ's de História da Família
  • O Wartime Memories Project é administrado por voluntários e este site é financiado por doações de nossos visitantes. Se as informações aqui foram úteis ou se você gostou de ler as histórias, considere fazer uma doação, não importa quão pequena, seria muito apreciada, anualmente precisamos levantar fundos suficientes para pagar por nossa hospedagem na web ou este site desaparecerá do rede.

Se você gosta deste site

Por favor considere fazer uma doação.

16 de junho de 2021 - Observe que atualmente temos um grande acúmulo de material enviado, nossos voluntários estão trabalhando nisso o mais rápido possível e todos os nomes, histórias e fotos serão adicionados ao site. Se você já enviou uma história para o site e seu número de referência UID é maior que 255865, suas informações ainda estão na fila, por favor, não reenvie sem nos contatar primeiro.

Agora estamos no Facebook. Curta esta página para receber nossas atualizações.

Se você tiver uma pergunta geral, poste-a em nossa página do Facebook.


Wingwalker realiza acrobacias bem acima de Cardiff enquanto o esquadrão RAF é ressuscitado na cidade após um intervalo de 57 anos

Por Camilla Turner,

Realizou ataques inimigos no Norte da África e colocou cortinas de fumaça na Segunda Guerra Mundial & # 8230 e depois de meio século, um esquadrão da RAF está sendo ressuscitado

Realizou ataques inimigos no Norte da África e colocou cortinas de fumaça para os desembarques em Dieppe durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, antes de ser dissolvido na década de 1950.

Mas depois de meio século, o Esquadrão RAF 614 (Condado de Glamorgan) está sendo ressuscitado à sua antiga glória e já abriu suas portas para novos recrutas.

Para celebrar sua recriação exatamente 57 anos após a dissolução do Esquadrão 614, o Comodoro Aéreo Honorário Vic Norman pilotou um wingwalker por Cardiff.

Stella Guilding, de 26 anos, fez paradas de mão e acrobacias enquanto a aeronave deslizava sobre RAF Pengam Moors, o antigo centro operacional do Esquadrão.

Após meses de preparação, o grande lançamento ocorreu na nova sede do Esquadrão em Ty Llewellyn, Cardiff.

“Estamos muito satisfeitos por chegar ao ponto em que o esquadrão está aberto para recrutamento”, disse o líder do esquadrão Mat Best. “Tínhamos pessoas do lado de fora dos portões antes mesmo de abri-los.”

O Esquadrão espera recrutar 120 novos reservistas no ano que vem para preencher uma série de postos, que vão de fotógrafo a analista de inteligência.

O líder do esquadrão Gary Lane acrescentou: “A resposta que vimos aqui em Cardiff é melhor do que qualquer outra no Reino Unido. Ter tanta gente quase batendo na porta é fantástico. ”

A reforma do Esquadrão 614 é parte de uma estratégia mais ampla do Ministério da Defesa (MOD) para aumentar o número de reservistas nas forças de combate para 20% até 2020.

O secretário galês David Jones, que participou do dia de inauguração, disse: “Passaram-se 57 anos desde o dia em que esta esquadra foi encerrada e é bom ver que foi reaberta novamente.

“Os reservistas desempenharão um papel cada vez mais importante na defesa do nosso país e as pessoas estão claramente ansiosas por fazer parte disso.”

O 614 Squadron foi formado em RAF Pengam Moors perto de Cardiff como uma unidade de cooperação do exército sob a Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RauxAF) em 1 de junho de 1937.

Ao longo dos anos, o Esquadrão voou vários tipos de aeronaves diferentes, desde os biplanos Hawker Hind durante seus primeiros anos até os Supermarine Spitfires no final da guerra e, finalmente, de Havilland Vampires após 1950.

Durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, o Esquadrão contribuiu para as defesas da nação patrulhando a costa escocesa entre Inverness e Berwick e tarefas de escolta marítima no Mediterrâneo.

Em apoio aos Mil Ataques de Bombardeiros do Comando de Bombardeiros da RAF em maio e junho de 1942, o Esquadrão enviou seus Blenheims para atacar aeródromos inimigos nos Países Baixos e, em agosto de 1942, colocou cortinas de fumaça para proteger o avanço das tropas em seus desembarques em Dieppe.

Em novembro de 1942, o Esquadrão mudou-se para o Norte da África, onde atacou aeródromos e linhas de comunicação inimigas até maio de 1943.

Em seguida, realizou tarefas de escolta marítima no Mediterrâneo até ser dissolvida em 25 de janeiro de 1944 no campo de aviação de Borizzo, na Sicília.

A segunda encarnação do Esquadrão Nº 614 surgiu do Esquadrão Nº 462 da Força Aérea Real Australiana (RAAF), que se formou em 7 de setembro de 1942 em Fayid, Egito, sob o Artigo XV do Plano de Treinamento Aéreo da Comunidade Britânica.

O Quartel-General da RAAF no Exterior solicitou que o esquadrão fosse renumerado e transferido para a RAF. Em 15 de fevereiro de 1944, enquanto estava a caminho de Celone, Itália, a unidade foi renumerada para o Esquadrão Nº 614.

Equipado com Handley Page Halifaxes, esteve envolvido em missões de bombardeio sobre a Itália e os Bálcãs e também realizou entregas de suprimentos a guerrilheiros nessas áreas.

Em 27 de julho de 1945 foi dissolvido no Amendola Airfield, Itália, e renumerado para No 214 Squadron RAF.

Com a reativação do RAuxAF, o Esquadrão Nº 614 foi reformado em 10 de maio de 1946 no RAF Llandow como um esquadrão de caça diurno.

Junto com todas as unidades voadoras da RAuxAF, a unidade foi dissolvida em 10 de março de 1957.


Facebook

Duncan Frank Hyland-Smith nasceu em 1918 em Oxford e ingressou na RAF como D.F.H. Smith, onde foi nomeado piloto oficial "em liberdade condicional" em 7 de março de 1939. Acredita-se que ele foi recrutado pelo próprio pai da RAF - Lord Trenchard enquanto vivia na Rodésia, onde aprendeu a voar. [A Pride of Eagles: A History of the Rhodesian Air Force by Beryl Salt refere-se]

Ele era habilidoso o suficiente para se tornar um Instrutor de Voo antes de ser enviado a Vereenigning, África do Sul para instruir como parte da Escola Aérea No.22 em outubro de 1940. Ele foi finalmente transferido da RAFO (Reserva de Oficiais da Força Aérea) em 7 de março de 1942, presumivelmente quando sua curta comissão de serviço expirou e foi convocado para o serviço.

Em 27 de março de 1943, ele se tornou o Oficial de Comando No.102 Sqn, que operava a partir da RAF Pocklington voando no Handley Page Halifax (uma aeronave da qual 614 eventualmente se tornaria sinônimo).

Ele subiu na hierarquia subindo para Líder de Esquadrão (submarinos de guerra), mas foi oferecido uma Comissão Permanente como Tenente de Voo em 16 de abril de 1946 e logo foi promovido a Líder de Esquadrão em 1 de agosto de 1947.

Em 1 de julho de 1953 ele foi promovido a comandante de ala e, alguns anos depois, em 10 de setembro de 1956 tornou-se oficial de comando do voo da Rainha, um papel de muito prestígio com o propósito de voar a família real e VIPs em todo o Reino Unido e no mundo (agora realizado por 32 (The Royal) Squadron) e em 26 de novembro de 1959, ele foi nomeado Oficial de Pessoal Sênior, QG da Força Aérea do Oriente Médio.

Ele foi promovido a Capitão do Grupo em 1 de julho de 1959 e tornou-se Comandante da Estação da RAF Leeming em 24 de setembro de 1962. Em 1 de julho de 1964, ele alcançou o Posto Aéreo quando foi promovido a Comodoro Aéreo e três anos depois, em 10 de abril de 1967 ele tornou-se o Oficial da Força Aérea (Administração), QG da Força Aérea do Extremo Oriente, onde permaneceu até agosto de 1969.

Ele se aposentou em 13 de dezembro de 1969 a seu próprio pedido e infelizmente morreu em 21 de dezembro de 1987.

Ao longo de sua ilustre carreira, ele foi premiado com o seguinte:

Comandante do Império Britânico (CBE) - 10 de junho de 1967
Membro da Ordem Real Vitoriana (MVO) - 13 de junho de 1959
Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) - 6 de novembro de 1945
Air Force Cross (AFC) - 10 de junho de 1054


Guerra Fria

Essas conquistas foram homenageadas pelo prefixo "Real" conferido pelo Rei George VI em 1947. Vinte dos esquadrões do pré-guerra foram reformados no pós-guerra como unidades de caça. Os acontecimentos após a Segunda Guerra Mundial anunciaram um período de grande perigo para o Reino Unido. O início da Guerra Fria com o Bloco Comunista levando ao Elevador Aéreo de Berlim e, finalmente, a eclosão da Guerra da Coréia em junho de 1950. Durante todas essas crises, os esquadrões de caça RAuxAF, os cinco recém-formados esquadrões de Postos de Observação Aérea (AOP) e outros As unidades RAuxAF desempenharam o seu papel na defesa aérea do Reino Unido e participaram em muitos exercícios aéreos da OTAN. Em 1951, no auge da Guerra da Coréia, todos os 20 esquadrões de caça RAuxAF (representando um terço da força do Comando de Caça) foram convocados para três meses de serviço em tempo integral. Eles eram necessários para a defesa doméstica no lugar de esquadrões regulares designados para implantação na Coréia. No evento, os esquadrões de caça da RAF não eram necessários na Coréia, mas os esquadrões da RAuxAF foram retidos para um treinamento de atualização intensivo em suas bases.

O 10 de março de 1957 viu o desmembramento de todos os 20 esquadrões de caça da Força RAuxAF, os cinco esquadrões AOP pós-guerra e os esquadrões baseados em terra Anti-Aeronaves Leve do Regimento Auxiliar da Força Aérea Real. Nos dois anos seguintes ou mais, as unidades auxiliares de controle de caças associadas a eles também foram dissolvidas. Em 16 de março de 1960, o Comandante-em-Chefe da Força Aérea e Sua Alteza Real o Príncipe Philip, Duque de Edimburgo, convidaram os Comandantes de Esquadrão e Comandantes de Voo de todas as unidades da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real dissolvidas para uma Recepção no Palácio de Buckingham. Todos receberam a seguinte carta do Comandante-em-Chefe da Aeronáutica:

Congratulei-me com esta oportunidade de despedir-me dos Oficiais Comandantes e dos Oficiais Auxiliares superiores dos esquadrões da Força Aérea Auxiliar Real que estão sendo dissolvidos e de enviar através deles esta mensagem de agradecimento e agradecimento a todos os seus oficiais, aviadores e aeromoças.

A história da Força Aérea Auxiliar foi gloriosa. The first Auxiliary squadrons were included in the Air Defence of Great Britain in 1925. By the outbreak of war in 1939 the Auxiliary fighter, coastal and balloon squadrons formed an integral and vital part of our forces. It was aircraft of these squadrons which shot down the first enemy bomber over this country and Auxiliary squadrons were heavily engaged in the air over Dunkirk and throughout the Battle of Britain. Later they were to win battle honours over the Atlantic, in Malta, North Africa, Sicily and Italy, the Arakan and Burma, and in Normandy, France and Germany.

After the war, the fighter squadrons were reconstituted as the Royal Auxiliary Air Force and the traditional spirit of voluntary service found new outlets with the formation of Regiment, Air OP, Fighter Control and Radar reporting Units, some of which are to remain in being and provide further opportunities for voluntary service.

The association of the Force with my family has always been close. I was proud to become Honorary Air Commodore of Nos 603, 2063 and 3603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadrons in 1951 and to succeed my father as Honorary Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force in 1952. Members of my family have always treasured their association with Auxiliary squadrons as Honorary Air Commodores.

I wish as Air Commodore-in-Chief to thank officers, airmen and airwomen of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force for all that they have given to the service of the country by their enthusiasm, their spirit and their devotion to duty in peace and war. It is a sad day when it is necessary to tell so many that it is no longer possible to use their services on the duties they have assumed so willingly. I wish them to know that they can look back with pride and satisfaction to service well done.

The renaissance of the RAuxAF began in 1959 with the formation of three Maritime Headquarters Units and one Maritime Support Unit. The MSU in Belfast was very short-lived, but No 1 (County of Hertford) MHU in Northwood, No 2 (City of Edinburgh) MHU in Edinburgh and No 3 (County of Devon) MHU in Mountbatten continued in existence until No 3 was amalgamated into No 1 in 1999. Later that year No 1 was renumbered 600 (City of London) Squadron and No 2 was renumbered 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron. These three units formed the entirety of the RAuxAF for twenty years until expansion starting in 1979, with the formation of three Regiment Field Squadrons, continuing with a Movements Squadron in 1982, and, following lessons learned during the Falklands conflict an Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron in 1983. A more recent addition, in 1987, was an auxiliary element (The Grampian Troop) formed within a regular RAF Regiment Rapier Air Defence Squadron. Another step forward was taken in 1986, with the raising of four Defence Force Flights with the role of ground defence of key points on air bases. In 1984, the RAuxAF's Diamond Jubilee was marked by the award to the Service of its own badge, which forms the basic motif of the Sovereign's Colour for the Royal Auxiliary Force presented by Her Majesty the Queen in 1989. The words of the badge motto COMITAMUR AD ASTRA - Latin "We go with them to the stars".


No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Second World War - History

Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

No 611 - 620 Squadron Histories

Numbers in the 600 series were originally allocated to squadrons of the Auxiliary Air Force. However, the AAF had only reached No 616 by the outbreak of World War Two, and further squadrons starting at 617 began to be formed from 1943 onwards. Although many squadrons were not formed until later in the war, the Air Ministry seems to have allocated code letters to many non-existent squadrons during the Munich Crisis in 1938, probably to confuse German Intelligence.

Não 611 (West Lancashire) Squadron

Formed at Hendon as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 10 February 1936, it moved North to Speke in May and received its first aircraft, Harts, in June. Until January 1939 it operated as a day bomber squadron, re-equipping with Hinds in 1938, but was then re-designated a fighter squadron.

Spitfires arrived in May 1939 and the squadron carried out operations over Dunkirk and then took part in the Battle of Britain. It operated in the day fighter role throughout WW2 and remained bases in the UK at various locations until disbanding at Peterhead on 15 August 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 611 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Woodvale as a day fighter squadron. It was initially equipped with Spitfire F 14s and F 22, until June 1951 when Meteor F 4s were received. These were replaced by F 8s in December 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded at Hooton Park, where it had moved in 1951, on 10 March 1957. The squadron reformed in 2013 at RAF Woodvale as a multi-role unit.

Não 612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron

Formed at Dyce as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with Tutors. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it continued to fly up to and beyond 1 November 1938 when it converted from the Army Co-operation to the General Reconnaissance role In July 1939 it received Ansons, which were better suited to its new role.

It flew throughout WW2 as a General Reconnaissance unit within Coastal Command being successively re-equipped with Whitleys, and various marks of Wellington, disbanding at Langham on 9 July 1945

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 612 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Dyce as fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfire LF 16s and F 14s it converted to Vampires in July 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

Reformed from The Air Transportable Surgical Squadron on xx xxx xxxx.

DJ Jul 1939 Sep 1939
WL Sep 1939 - Aug 1943
8W Jul 1944 - Jul 1945, 1949 - Apr 1951
RAS May 1946 - 1949

Não 613 (City of Manchester) Squadron

Formed at Ringway as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 March 1939, it was initially equipped with Hinds. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until April 1940 when it received Lysanders.

Remaining in Britain on the outbreak of war it operated over France on light bombing and supply dropping missions before assuming coastal patrol and air-sea rescue duties. However, it started to training in the tactical reconnaissance role from Augustl 1941 when it received its first Tomahawks. It began to re-equip in April 1942 with the Mustang, which it retained until October 1943.

It received Mosquito VIs from November 1943 and joined No 2 Group, beginning operations in December. From May 1944 it took on the role of night intruder and continued in this role until 7 August 1945 when it was re-numbered No 69 Squadron.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 613 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Ringway as a fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfires F 14 and F 22s, it received Vampires in February 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

ZR Mar 1939 - Jun 1942
SY Jun 1942 - Aug 1945
RAT May 1946 - 1949
3º T 1949 - Apr 1951

Não 614 (County of Glamorgan) Squadron

Formed at Cardiff as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with Hinds. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until November 1939 when it received Lysanders.

In June 1940 it moved to Scotland to carry out coastal patrols but from July 1941 it began re-equipping with Blenheims IVs, a process completed by January 1942. During the first 'thousand bomber' raid in May 1942, it carried out bombing attacks against German airfields. It also laid smoke screens during the Dieppe landings and in November moved to North Africa.

In North Africa it carried out attacks against enemy airfields and lines of communication until May 1943, when the fighting in that area ended. It then became involved in shipping escort duties in the Mediterranean until being disbanded on 25 January 1944.

Just over a month later on 3 March 1944 No 462 Squadron at Celone in Italy was renumbered No 614. Equipped with Halifaxes it was now involved in bombing mission over Italy and the Balkans and it also carried out supply drops to partisans in those areas. It re-equipped with Liberators in March 1945 but on 27 July it disbanded again.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 614 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Llandow as a day fighter squadron. Initially equipped with Spitfires, these gave way to Vampires in July 1950 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957. The squadron reformed in September 2013 at Cardiff as a multi-role unit.

Não 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron

Formed at Kenley as part of the Auxiliary Air Force on 1 June 1937, it was initially equipped with the Audax. By the end of the year it had received Hectors which it flew until November 1938 when it received Gauntlets and became a fighter squadron at the same time.

It went to France as part of the Air Component of the BEF in November 1939 having re-equipped with Gladiators in May. Conversion to Hurricanes took place just prior to the German invasion of France but by 20 May 1940, the squadron was back at Kenley.

It took part in the early actions of the Battle of Britain but then moved to Scotland to rest. It later took part in offensive sweeps over Europe and defence duties in Wales before moving to India in April 1942. It moved to Burma in December 1942, returned to India to re-equip in May 1943 receiving Spitfires in October. It returned to operations on the Burma front in November but was recalled to India again, for defensive duties in August 1944, before returning to Burma in February 1945, disbanding on 10 June.

No 135 Squadron, equipped with Thunderbolts was renumbered 615 on the same day and began training for the invasion of Malaya. However, the Japanese surrender ended these plans and the squadron disbanded on 25 September 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 615 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Biggin Hill as a day fighter squadron equipped with Spitfire 14s. Spitfire F 21s were received in 1947 and F 22s in 1948, both marks being flown until 1950, when the squadron re-equipped with Metoer F 4s. Meteor F 8s were received in September 1951 but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded on 10 March 1957.

RR Nov 1938 - Sep 1939
KW Sep 1939 - Sep 1945
RAV Jul 1946 - 1949
V6 1949 - Apr 1951

Não 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron

On 1 November 1938 No 503 Squadron re-located to Doncaster and was re-numbered No 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force. It was originally equipped with Hind light bombers but from 15 November it was re-designated a fighter unit. It re-equipped with Gauntlets in 1939 and Spitfires in November 1939.

It began the Battle of Britain in its home county of Yorkshire but in mid August it joined the main battle when it moved to Kenley. Fighter sweeps over the continent began in April 1941 receiving Spitfire IIs in February 1941 and VBs in July 1941. In April 1942 it received the high altitude version of the Spitfire, the Mk VI and from September 1943, the Mk VII.

However, before the last Spitfire had left a new aircraft was arriving in the form of the RAF's first jet fighter, the Gloster Meteor. These arrived just in time to meet the threat posed by the V1 flying bomb, for which the squadron was retained in Britain. In February 1945 a detachment of the squadron went to Belgium, with the whole squadron moving to Holland in April 1945 and when the war ended the squadron found itself at Lubeck, where it disbanded on 29 August 1945.

With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 616 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Finningley as a night fighter unit equipped with the Mosquito NF 30. It became a day fighter unit again in 1948 and that December received the aircraft that it had introduced into service four years earlier, the Meteor F 3. Meteor F 4s arrived in April 1950 and F 8s in December 1951, but along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, it was disbanded at Worksop, where it had moved in 1955, on 10 March 1957. It was reformed on 1 April 2019 at RAF Waddington "to support high demand employment fields".

Não 617 Squadron

Considering its short existence during WW2, No 617 was probably the most well known RAF unit to emerge from the conflict, so much so that today it still remains an active RAF squadron, when many lower numbered (ie. more senior) squadrons are no longer active in the order of Battle.

617 was formed on 21 March 1943 at Scampton for the sole purpose of carrying out a single operation 'Chastise' . That operation involved the low level delivery of a special mine able to 'bounce' over defensive netting and on the night of 16 May 1943, led by Wg Cdr Guy Gibson, the squadron attacked dams in the Rhur Valley. Of the three, two - the Mohne and Eder were breached whilst the Sorpe remained largely undamaged. Eight aircraft from the 19 dispatched failed to return and Wg Cdr Gibson was awarded the VC for his gallantry during the raid, during which he introduced a technique to be used throughout Bomber Command - the Master Bomber system.

Following this raid it was decided to retain the squadron, but it continued to operate in a specialised field. Under the command of Wg Cdr Leonard Cheshire the squadron developed low level marking techniques, first using Lancasters and later Mosquitoes. In this role the squadron often lead and marked precision targets for the whole of No 5 Group. During the D-Day landings the squadron carried out Operation Taxable, whereby using Janela metallic strips, it created the impression of an invasion force crossing the English Channel towards the Pas de Calais.

Its next special operations consisted of delivering another of Barnes Wallis' design, in the form of the 12,000lb 'Tallboy' earthquake bomb. Using this weapon, the squadron destroyed the Saumur railway tunnel shortly after D-Day and later in conjunction with No 9 Squadron sank the Tirpitz in Thomso fiord. At the end of the war it was responsible for dropping the largest even high explosive bombs in history when it delivered the 22,000lb 'Grand Slam', another Barnes Wallis design, destroying targets such as the Bielefeld viaduct. It was then allocated to 'Tiger Force' but the need for this force vanished when the Japanese surrendered following the dropping of the Atomic Bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. However 617 did move to India in January 1946 by returned to Binbrook in the UK in May.

Joining the peace time RAF, it was now equipped with Lincolns, retaining these until 1952 when it became the second squadron in the RAF to receive the Canberra jet bomber. It continued to operate Canberras from Binbrook, except for a four month detachment to Malaya in 1955, until disbanding on 15 December 1955.

It reformed at its ancestral home, Scampton, on 1 May 1958 as part of the V-Force equipped with Vulcan B1s. Re-equipping with B2s in 1961 it remained at Scampton, operating in the conventional bombing role after 1968 when the nuclear deterrent was passed to the Royal Navy, until disbanding on 31 December 1981.

It reformed once again on 1 January 1983 at Marham equipped with the Tornado GR1 in the nuclear strike role. In 1993, it began to retrain for the anti shipping role, for which it now operates the Tornado GR4B (first ones received in 1994) equipped to launch the Sea-Eagle sea skimming missile. From 1994, it was located at Lossiemouth in Scotland alongside the only other GR4B equipped unit, No 12 Squadron, it disbanded on 1 April 2014 in preparation for it to become the first operational unit to operate the F-35B Lightning II. It reformed on 17 April 2018 in the USA and began the move to its new home at Marham in June 2018.

Standard originally awarded on 15 Jan 1952 as a mark of His Majesty's appreciation of its outstanding achievements in operations and presented:-

TF Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
AJ 1943 - 1946
KC 1943 - 1952 (used alongside AJ)
YZ 1945 (only used on aircraft used to carry 'Grand Slam' bombs)
AJ Carried on Tornados

For more a more detailed history of No 617 in the latter part of WW2, order the book below: -

Não 618 Squadron

Formed shortly after No 617 on 1 Aril 1943, this squadron was also created to undertake special operations with a smaller version of Barnes Wallis' 'Bouncing Bomb'.

It was formed at Skitten from a nucleus of crews provided by No's 105 and 109 Squadrons and was equipped with Mosquitoes, which each carried two of the smaller 'Highball' devices.

It was originally planned to use this device against German naval vessels along the Norwegian coast, but as these never moved out of their safe havens in Norwegians fiords, the squadron never became fully operational.

It was next decided to send the squadron to the Pacific for similar duties against the Japanese. Embarking aboard HMS Striker on 30 October 1944, the squadron arrived in Australia in December. A detachment was sent to the British Pacific Fleet base at Manus in March 1945, but when it became obvious that there would be problems operating an RAF unit in an area controlled by the US Navy, the squadron was disbanded on 29 June 1945.

Não 6 19 Squadron

Formed as a Main Force bomber unit within No 5 Group on 18 April 1943, it was equipped with Lancasters at Woodhall Spa.

It continued in this role equipped with the same type of aircraft although it moved bases a number of times, Coningsby - January 1944, Dunholme Lodge - April, Strubby - September and Skellingthorpe - June 1945, where it disbanded on 18 July 1945.

Não 620 Squadron

Formed as a heavy bomber unit within No 3 Group at Chedburgh on 17 June 1943 equipped with Stirlings. It only operated as a bomber unit until November that year when it as transferred to No 38 Group, moving to Leicester East.

It now operated in the airborne forces role towing gliders and carrying out supply drops to resistance forces in France. It took part in Operations Overlord, Market Garden e Varsity before flying troops to Norway in May 1945.

Shortly after this it converted to Halifaxes and in January 1946 it moved to Egypt, gaining a few Dakotas in June, but on 1 September 1946 it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 113 Squadron at Aqir.

TF Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
QS Jun 1943 - 1946
D4 Nov 1943 - 1946 (used with QS on transfer to Transport Command)

*Honours in Black are those the squadron has a been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard, but does not do so.

Honours in Red are those actually emblazoned on the Squadron Standard

Honours in Blue are those the squadron has not been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard

Squadron badge image on this page is courtesy of Steve Clements

Crown Copyright is reproduced with the permission of the Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights

This page was last updated on 17/09/19 using FrontPage 2003

Organisational Index [Top of Page] Sqns 621 - 650


Unit History: RN Air Station Filton

RAF Filton was a World War II, Royal Air Force Sector Airfield situated at Filton Aerodrome about 8km (5mi) north of the city centre of Bristol, England.

RFC/RAF Squadrons at Filton during the First World War.
In Jan 1916 No. 33 Squadron was formed at Filton, from elements of 12 Squadron, flying Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 aircraft.

In April 1916 No. 42 Squadron was formed at Filton from crews of 19 Squadron Royal Flying Corps also equipped with the B.E.2 biplane.

No. 66 (Fighter) Squadron was formed at Filton in June 1916 with Sopwith Pup biplanes the squadron moved on to France in March 1917.

August 1916 saw No. 62 Squadron (Training) Squadron formed from elements of No.7 Training Squadron - equipped with the Bristol F.2 Fighter from May 1917.

One of the Squadron Leaders was Montgomery Victor Murray Clube.


Between the Wars
101 Squadron was disbanded at Filton following its return from France in March 1919 where it had flown the Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2 as a night bomber squadron.

In June 1929 501 (Special Reserve) Squadron was formed at Filton as a day bomber squadron flying Airco DH.9A biplanes. Initially named ’City of Bristol’ it was renamed ’County of Gloucester’ Squadron in May 1930. It became part of the Auxiliary Air Force in 1936. The Squadron flew Hawker Harts and then the Hawker Hind light bomber from 1938.

Guerra Mundial 2
During WW2 RAF Filton was home to the Filton Sector (Part of No 10 Group RAF) Operations Room and Staff.

No. 935 (County of Glamorgan) Barrage Balloon Unit (Auxiliary Air Force) was at Filton from January 1939 with 2 Flights of 8 barrage balloons, and responsible for the defence of the Naval Yard at Plymouth as well as the airfield at Filton. The unit’s allocation was increased to 24 Balloons during August 1940 as RAF Filton did not have a defensive fighter squadron attached to defend the airfield. The No 11 Balloon Centre at Pucklechurch, north of Bristol, also came under the command of the RAF Filton station commander.

Squadrons stationed at RAF Filton from the beginning of WW2 included 501 (County of Gloucester) Sqdn (Auxiliary Air Force), now flying Hawker Hurricane Ic fighters, until 10 May 1940 when that Squadron moved to France and 263 Squadron (reformed on 20 October 1939 at Filton) taking over some of the Gloster Gladiator I biplane fighters previously with 605 Squadron and still wearing that squadron’s code letter (HE). The Squadron went on to Norway in April 1940 operating from a frozen lake.

Between May and July 1940, No. 236 Squadron were based at Filton with Bristol Blenheim twin-engined fighters, flying defensive sweeps over the Channel.

In February 1941 118 Sqdn was formed at Filton flying Spitfire IIs on convoy patrols until January 1943.

Also in February 1941, Bristol University Air Squadron (UAS) was formed at Filton as part of 54 Group (along with Birmingham UAS). Initially flying DH Moth and later Tiger Moth and Harvard trainers. It continued at Filton until it was disbanded in 1946.

No 528 Squadron was formed at Filton in June 1943, flying the Bristol Blenheim and de Havilland Hornet Moth in the radar calibration role.

During the Second World War the Station Warrant Officer at Filton was Alec (Tubby) Kerr. Described in the Bristol Evening World in 1957 as one of the best-known Station Warrant Officers the RAF has ever known. SWO Kerr was awarded the MBE on the 13th of June 1946.

The Filton ’Blitz’
The airfield was attacked on 25 September 1940 just before mid-day by 57 Heinkel 111 bombers with Messerschmitt Bf 110 fighter escort. The Luftwaffe raid was primarily aimed at the Bristol Aeroplane Company’s works on the south side of the airfield. One of the air raid shelters on the airfield received a direct hit, five others seriously damaged and during the raid over 200 people were killed. Luftwaffe reconnaissance planes had determined that there were no fighter aircraft stationed at Filton prior to the attack but 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron (Auxiliary Air Force) was moved in from 26 September 1940, flying Hawker Hurricane Mk1 fighters, as a result of this raid.

Post War Years
After the war years Filton again became home to 501 Squadron, which was reformed in May 1946 as a Royal Auxiliary Air Force day-fighter squadron equipped with Spitfire XVI (LF)s. These were followed in 1948 by de Havilland Vampire F1s, and the FB5 from Spring 1951. 501 Squadron continued at Filton until it was disbanded in March 1957, when the remaining Royal Auxiliary Air Force flying units were stood down.

Filton was also once again home to the Bristol University Air Squadron reformed in November 1950 as part of 62 Group. Initially flying de Havilland Tiger Moth T2s, these were replaced with Chipmunk T10 trainers and also No 3 Air Experience Flight RAFVR (Formed 8 September 1958, moving to Hullavington in June 1989) also with de Havilland Chipmunk trainers.

Operating out of Filton from December 1947 was No12 Reserve Flying School equipped with six de Havilland Tiger Moths for RAF Reserve Pilot training and (from 1949) initially two (later three) Avro Ansons for Navigator training. This school was operated under special contract to the Air Ministry by the Bristol Aeroplane Company as part of the Volunteer Reserve Pilot training scheme. This continued until March 1953 when No. 12 RFS closed.

In the 1950s and early ’60s, Filton was designated as a V-bomber dispersal base. During the Cuban Missile Crisis (October 1962) Avro Vulcan V-bombers were at Filton and kept at ’immediate readiness’ status with engines idling.


No. 614 'County of Glamorgan' Squadron (RAF): Second World War - History

"Don't threaten or dictate to us untill you are marching up Whitehall,
and even then we won't listen to you".

British Ambassador to German Envoy
Bern, Switzerland, May 1940

604 Squadron came into being at Hendon on the 17th of March 1930 with F/L F.J Fogarty as adjutant and flying instructor,with a Warrant Officer and 19 airmen they formed the nucleus on which the new squadron of part timers would be built.


De Havilland DH9


AVRO 504

The first aircraft on strengh were a De Haviland DH9 ex 600 (City of London) sqdn, an Avro504K from 605 (County of Warwick) sqdn and another DH9 from601 (County of London) On the 11th of September the sqdn recieved its first operational aircraft, these were Westland Wapitis and in May, 9 of these aircraft took part in the great Hendon Air Pageant, one of the countrys largest pre-war aviation events.


Westland Wapiti

604 were affiliated with 32.(f). sqdn followed by annual camp at Tangmere where they became a blueband bombing squadron. In 1932 the squadron was visited by Air Marshall HRH,The Prince of Wales, the occasion was to present the squadron with the coveted Esher Trophy for being the best all round squadron in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Headquarters were opened in 1934 at Heath Brow, Hampstead by Vicount Trenchard, and during that summer the role of 604 changed to that of a fighter squadron from the light bomber duties it had started as, this was most popular with all of the members!.


Demônio Hawker

After his 5 year stint S/L Gore handed over to S/L Gabriel who was one of the first weekenders to qualify as a pilot with 604 sqdn. In 1935 Hawker Demons replaced the ageing Wapiti's and four of these were detailed to take part in the annual Mildenhall air review. 1936 saw the commisioning of a certain John Cunningham and also the winner of the Esher Trophy and again in 1938 only this time presented by ACM Hugh Dowding, also in this year the Hendon pageant included 604sqdn and after summer camp the squadron was called up and based at its wartime home of North Weald, Essex.

In 1939 camp was held at Hawkinge, and on the 24th of August the sqdn was embodied into the R.A.F. as a bone fide fighter squadron and every single officer and airman was present for this special occasion! On the 1st of September 1940 the Sqdn flew into North Weald equipped now with Bristol Blenheim two seat fighters.


Bristol Blenheim

After a period of night flying duties, such as checking factories for blackout effectiveness and AA gun affiliation exercises, 604 became officially a night fighter sqdn. F/O Cunningham was crewed with his A/G "Jimmy" Rawnsley by this time and in December of 1939 had recieved their first "radar" equipped Bristol Blenheim P4847. The sqdn moved to Martlesham Heath for extensive training and to provide cover for the merchant ships using the East Coast ports. A move to Kenley, Surrey, followed later that year to cover the B.E.F's leave ships from France and on the 10th of May they escorted Blenheim Bombers to the beaches off the Hague where they attacked JU52 troop transports destroying 4 and damaging 4 others, one of 604's aircraft crashing in Holland, but the crew escaped with aid from the dutch civilians nearby. This was the first blood to the sqdn! The first night victory fell to the guns of F/O Hunter, this was a JU88, and in September to the great delight of all, the sqdn recieved its first Bristol Beaufighter AI (radar) aircraft, the airgunners were dissapointed with the lack of a gun turret but most were happy to re-muster as radar operators, by this time John Cunningham was a F/L and with a temporary R/O he destroyed a JU88 and in order to conceal from the germans the existence of a functional radar system the ruse was put about that F/L Cunningham posessed exceptional night vision, hence the nickname of "cats Eyes" a name he did not enjoy! This man, with "Jimmy" Rawnsley, went on to become one of ,if not the most, succesful night fighter teams of the Second World War.

The victims of 604sqdn were often the aircraft of KG100 the Luftwaffe's premier pathfinder squadron and, by the end of 1941, the squadron had flown for 5,800 hrs, with 56 enemy aircraft destroyed, 40 damaged, and had gained 2 D.S.O.'s, 10 D.F.C.'s and a bar, 8 D.F.M.'s and 1 bar, 3 B.E.M.'s, to the ground crews, and a M.E.B. to S/L Brown for his part in Sopley GCI.

Up to this date the squadron had lost 4 aircraft, with 8 crew members dead, a sacrifice that should not be forgotten.

The career of 604 squadron continued throughout the Second World War being based at Exeter from the 3rd of May and quickly sharing success with No 307 (Polish) squadron, Flt/lt crew downing a Do217 over Cowes, Isle of Wight over Studland Bay S/L skinner despatched an He111 on the 24th of May another He111 was destroyed by a new crew to 604 P/O Foster and Sgt Newton.

July saw the departure of John Cunningham for a rest period after 6 years with the Squadron. It would be impossible to render an account of all 604's victories here the source of this information is best read in the excellent book "Twenty One Squadrons a Complete History of the Auxiliary Squadrons of the Royal Air force".

Detachments of 604 operated from many airfields in England, from Leeds to , Cornwall to Essex, the squadron was successful on so many occasions, from downing the first He 177 four engine Bomber over Sunderland to destroying an E-Boat in the English Channel, for instance on the 27th of July S/L Hoy and W/Officer Ray, intercepted "weather Willie" a fast moving Ju88 that radioed reports for the U-Boat's and for Lord Haw Haws broadcasts, but the Ju88 was forced to radio that he would not be returning to base as he hit the sea! another "weather Willie" was destroyed on the 22nd of august by Wing Commander Maxwell, Wing commander Maxwell scored the squadrons 100th kill, and Wing Commander, Desmond Hughes came into the squadron as its new C/O. He was a former Boulton-Paul Defiant pilot from the Battle of Britain, with a DFC and two bars for night fighting with 125 (Newfoundland) squadron, and 600 (City Of London) squadron, his navigator was Flt Lt Laurie Dixon DFC and Bar.


De Havilland Mosquito

Wing Commander Maxwell left for a staff job 604 became equipped with the Mosquito MkX11, and soon after the squadron was airborne over the Invasion Beaches of Normandy. part of the squadron was first based on French soil at A15 the allied tag for the Cherboug-Maupertus aerodrome, the rest still based in the UK at Blackbushe airfield to protect the supply ports for the Allies in Normandy. A move to allied field A8 (Picauville) saw the whole squadron together, seven aircraft airborne that night, four aircraft destroyed, but with a loss to the squadron of one aircraft, Flt Lt Hooper and F/O Hubbard DFC were never found. By the 1st of september the airfield at A8 had deteriorated so much that the squadron moved to B6 and then to B17 (Carpiquet) near Caen, Flt Lt Miller cannoned two armed Trawlers near Jersey, the squadron moved back to Preddanack Cornwall on the 24th of September to rearm with the latest Mosquito variant with an advanced new Radar. Another move to Odiham Hantshire saw 604 waiting to move back to France, but while here they made patrols to Belgium and Holland and in emergencies were able to land at Brussels-Melsbroek as this was now in allied hands, they were under control of 147 wing.

Another move saw 604 based at Lille-Vendrille France, with F/officer Cross killing two JU87's that night. On the 1st of January, the Germans mounted their last fling against allied airfields in Belgium and Holland, 604 were not affected, but S/L Furze claimed a He219 over Munchen Gladbach and in three quick combats Flt Lt Foster shot down three Ju88's bad weather stopped operations for a while, with rare sightings of enemy aircraft, most nights were spent hunting V1 flying bombs heading for Antwerp and England, An Me109 was destroyed on the 24th of March 1945, with continued bad weather over the continent of Europe, 604 aircraft made landings in the UK and it was some time after, before it became known that F/Officer T.R. Wood having destroyed a JU88 in the early hours of the 27th of March, had scored the final 604 kill of the Second World War. Bad weather reigned over the continent and flying was at a halt, this allowed the squadron to throw a thank you party for the squadrons ground crew at the University Hall in Lille.

On the 18th of April the squadron disbanded, the aircraft going to 264 and 409 squadrons the latter a Canadian night fighter unit, so ended the wartime story of 604 (County Of Middlesex) Squadron with a record of second to none!. Recruiting opened again at Hendon on the 1st of June 1946, and again Group Captain Cunningham became Commanding Officer, reverting to the rank of Squadron leader.


Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire

Now 604 was equipped with Spitfire LFXV1e aircraft, in 1948 an Essex flight was established at North Weald, and soon the whole squadron was there, as Hendon was becoming unsuitable for fighter aircraft. John Cunningham's other job as a test pilot for DeHavilland took much of his time and S/Leader K.T. Lofts took over as commanding officer. 604 regained the coveted Esher Trophy in 1949, but suffered a loss when S/L Lofts was killed in a flying accident, S/Leader A.Deytrikh succeeded as the C/O and now saw his squadron change over from the Spitfires to jets with the introduction of the DeHavilland Vampire F3 these were recieved in 1951.


De Havilland Vampire


Gloster Meteor

Middlesex County council publicly honoured 604 for their achievements on the 27th February 1952 at the Guidhall Westminster, the Gloster Meteor F8 was issued to the squadron as its mount, with S/L T.P Turnbull as its C/O and was flying these aircraft in the front line of defence when in March 1957 came the decision to disband the flying units of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. On the 28th of May 1960 in Whitehall Sir Frederick Handley-Page presented the Standard awarded By the Queen to Flt Lt Buckley a former 604 pilot, the Standard was laid up in the RAF church of St Clement Danes, a formal parade was held, and so ended part of Britains aviation history.

But some were not letting it end there! with a loan of 250, a Percival Proctor 111 was aqquired G-ALOK (formerly RAF LZ589) appeared as the mount of the County Of Middlesex squadron flying group, the rest of the cost of 525 was subscibed by members, known as "oscar kilo" the aircraft gave pleasure to many.

132 german aircraft were shot down by 604 squadron, a totall of 37 DFC's or bars, 9 DFM's 4 BEM's, 3 Norwegian War medals, and countless "mentioned in Despatches" were given to 604 squadron, the books "Cover of Darkness" by Roderick Chisholme and "Nightfighter" by C.F Rawnsley, John Cunninghams Radar operator are Very good reads.

Other Aircraft used by 604 squadron.

Squadron Markings

Red and Yellow interlocking triangles carried across the top of the wings, and along the side of the fuselage, and the armorial bearings of the County Of Middlesex on the tail. the Wartime Squadron code was NG, post war they were RAK, but from 1949 they once again became NG

The "sword" is known as a Seax and the motto in latin translates as "if you want peace, prepare for war" a fitting motto to a gallant and formidable RAF squadron.

Source of information

The excellent book now I believe out of print called " 21 Squadrons", a history of the 21 squadrons of the Royal Auxiliary Air force.


Assista o vídeo: Życie dzieci podczas II wojny światowej. Opowiadają świadkowie: Mik, Rawska i Maksymowicz